Friday, July 18, 2014

Parva 03 214

SECTION CCXIV

"Markandeya continued, 'The virtuous fowler, having introduced his (both)
parents to that Brahmana as his highest gurus, again spoke to him as
follows, 'Mark you the power of this virtue of mine, by which my inner
spiritual vision is extended. For this, you wast told by that
self-restrained, truthful lady, devoted to her husband, 'Hie you to
Mithila; for there lives a fowler who will explain to thee, the mysteries
of religion.' The Brahmana said, 'O pious man, so constant in fulfilling
thy religious obligations, bethinking myself of what that truthful
good-natured lady so true to her husband, hath said, I am convinced that
thou are really endowed with every high quality.' The fowler replied, 'I
have no doubt, my lord, that what that lady, so faithful to her husband,
said to you about me, was said with full knowledge of the facts. I have,
O Brahmana, explained to you all this as a matter of favour. And now,
good sir, listen to me. I shall explain what is good for thee. O good
Brahmana, of irreproachable character, you hast wronged your father and
thy mother, for you hast left home without their permission, for the
purpose of learning the Vedas. Thou hast not acted properly in this
matter, for your ascetic and aged parents have become entirely blind from
grief at your loss. Do you return home to console them. May this virtue
never forsake you Thou are high-minded, of ascetic merit, and always
devoted to your religion but all these have become useless to thee. Do
thou without delay return to console your parents. Do have some regard for
my words and not act otherwise; I tell you what is good for thee, O
Brahmana Rishi, Do you return home this very day.' The Brahmana replied,
'This that you hast said, is undoubtedly true; mayst thou, O pious man,
attain prosperity; I am much pleased with thee.' The fowler said, 'O
Brahmana, as you practisest with assiduousness those divine, ancient,
and eternal virtues which are so difficult of attainment even by
pure-minded persons, you appearest (to me) like a divine being. Return
to the side of your father and mother and be quick and diligent in
honouring your parents; for, I do not know if there is any virtue higher
than this.' The Brahmana replied, 'By a piece of singular good luck have
I arrived here, and by a piece of similar good luck have I thus been
associated with thee. It is very difficult to find out, in our midst, a
person who can so well expound the mysteries of religion; there is
scarcely one man among thousands, who is well versed in the science of
religion. I am very glad, O great man, to have secured your friendship;
mayst you be prosperous. I was on the point of falling into hell, but
was extricated by thee. It was destined to be so, for you didst
(unexpectedly) come in my way. And, O great man, as the fallen King
Yayati was saved by his virtuous grandsons (daughter's sons), so, have I
know been saved by thee. According to your advice, I shall honour my
father and my mother; for a man with an impure heart can never expound
the mysteries of sin and righteousness. As it is very difficult for a
person born in the Sudra class to learn the mysteries of the eternal
religion, I do not consider you to be a Sudra. There must surely be some
mystery in connection with this matter. Thou must have attained the
Sudra's estate by reason of the fruition of yours own past karma. O
magnanimous man, I long to know the truth about this matter. Do you tell
it to me with attention and according to your own inclination.'

"The fowler replied, 'O good Brahmana, Brahmanas are worthy of all
respect from me. Listen, O sinless one, to this story of a previous
existence of mine. O son of an excellent Brahmana, I was formerly a
Brahmana, well-read in the Vedas, and an accomplished student of the
Vedangas. Through my own fault I have been degraded to my present state.
A certain king, accomplished in the science of dhanurveda (science of
archery), was my friend; and from his companionship, O Brahmana, I, too
became skilled in archery; and one day the king, in company with his
ministers and followed by his best warriors, went out on a hunting
expedition. He killed a large number of deer near a hermitage. I, too, O
good Brahmana, discharged a terrible arrow. And a rishi was wounded by
that arrow with its head bent out. He fell down upon the ground, and
screaming loudly said, 'I have harmed no one, what sinful man has done
this?' And, my lord, taking him for a deer, I went up to him and found
that he was pierced through the body by my arrow. On account of my wicked
deed I was sorely grieved (in mind). And then I said to that rishi of
severe ascetic merit, who was loudly crying, lying upon the ground, 'I
have done this unwittingly, O rishi.' And also this I said to the muni:
'Do you think it proper to pardon all this transgression.' But, O
Brahmana, the rishi, lashing himself into a fury, said to me, 'Thou shalt
be born as a cruel fowler in the Sudra class."





--------------------END OF PARVA 3 : UPA-PARVA 214 ---------------------